15 March 2008

Elite or Outcast?

At my university there are only a handful of people studying mathematics (literally). I now do not consider other courses containing a few math modules, I mean majoring in it.

So now I ask myself why? Are people scared, afraid? Do they have other plans? (That’s a good solid reason). Do they think they’re to dumb? (That’s just plain dumb, no pun intended.)

I always get the “WOW”-effect. Some people immediately place you outside the ‘normal’ students. Now what I want to know is where exactly are we put? And why?
An elite, not to-be-touched-and-get-into-conversation-with group?
Or an outcast, not to-be-touched-and-get-into-conversation-with group?
Neither sounds any good.
Why is different wrong in some people’s minds?

Go with the flow? I don’t think so.
Upstream is where all the gold is.

Now don’t get me wrong here, I don’t judge anyone by what they’re studying or by their career, all I’m asking is why I, as Applied Mathematics student, are often seen in a different light than others?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Opulently I assent to but I about the list inform should acquire more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Easily I acquiesce in but I think the post should have more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!