22 March 2008

Vacation Time

I wish! But still, one can dream.
What I have in mind is waves, of the ocean.

Now I'm thinking, the next time I'm sitting on the beach staring out over the ocean, will this equation pop into my thoughts? I doubt it, but if it did: Will it be good or bad?

Well who likes to get those brainwaves going on vacation?
So it's probably a bad thing, unless you're very bored... which I doubt.

So how does the above mentioned equation work? This might give you some idea:

The wave equation is the important
partial differential equation




that describes propagation of waves with speed . The form above gives the wave equation in three-dimensional space where is the Laplacian, which can also be written


An even more compact form is given by

where the first variable is the d'Alembertian, which subsumes the second time derivative and second space derivatives into a single operator.

The
one-dimensional wave equation is given by


As with all partial differential equations, suitable initial and/or boundary conditions must be given to obtain solutions to the equation for particular geometries and starting conditions.

(
Weisstein, Eric W. "Wave Equation." From MathWorld--A Wolfram Web Resource. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/WaveEquation.html)

No comments: